We are currently phasing in handover for the echo system. So what is handover ?
Handover are those situations where your client is not mobile first in the context where you require to perform identification.
There may be several reasons for this where the most prominent reason is real estate, in many situation having a 27 inches real estate for presentation is really required, very convenient or mandated in a corporate scenario.
The process can be depicted as illustrated.
A demo is shown here.
This can also be described as an aggregator model. The rationale is that the provider of mobile app can be seen as the landlord providing the service for others. This landlord would then configure for each of the tenant where to provide the result of the process when complete.
The task of getting your app on the handset and providing maintenance can be hard for even the bigger actors so viewing this from an ecosystem perspective it makes sense to forge allianses with others unless you would like to capture the aggregator niche yourself.
- This is the normal identification process for document validation.
- This is the normal process for matching in a tamper secure way of the person presenting the document to the holder of the identity document.
- The result is transferred to the preferred address and preferred method of the tenant.
- When receiving the result the tenant can proceed the process. This can be done using a push or the channel client can perform regular polls to determine when to proceed.
- The client can proceed performing whatever business logic which required identification.
A very simple video can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqO16My84I&vq=hd1080
Complexity of implementation
It is still 3 boilerplate lines of code in the app and a similar amount of boilerplate code in the tenant channel.
In addition the tenant would need to be capable of accepting the files and to trigger further progress in the channel based on these files. To aid the tenant channel can set a reference with will be reflected in all naming, including the received file names, which will make it simple to correlate the reception to the instance initiating the process.
OK so how can I do a test spin
First you need our demo app from the play store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.idmee.android.demo
Please notice that full protocol specifier must be entered, i.e https:// must also be entered due to non standard ports used.
Choose «Using identity document» and please notice that these are simple pages to show the concept.
You can always watch the demo video if in doubt or if this is unclear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqO16My84I&vq=hd1080
It’s still privacy oriented. Everything is wiped when your session is gone, the only thing we keep is your email address used for authentication.
Limitations and roadmap
The current version requires the app to be installed and scan of the QR or manual entry of the reference to be performed.
The short term roadmap has the following functionality defined.
- Automatic invocation on the device if the action was started on an eligible device.
- Using universal links.
- If the QR code is scanned on a supporting device which will allow the opening of an URL the process can be started outside the app.
- If the app is installed on the device it will be started and proceed directly to the confirmation screen.
- If the app has not been installed the user will be taken to the app store.
- After installing the app and opening it the app will automatically proceed to the confirmation screen. This requires a minor, simple change in existing apps on start to handle this aspect.
- Dynamic branding. This would use the tenant preferred branding during the process. This implies that the individual tenants of one landlord can present their own branding during the process by agreement with the landlord but where we will do all of the lifting and shifting required.
So basically the message would be is that the current mechanism of QR codes is a simple but not friction less method suited for easy implementation (for you) to cover the desktop or any channel capable of user dialogue and the display of QR codes which can even be done on non graphic interfaces.
The methods on the roadmap will be frictionless and with low cost implementations for other channels. Should you wish less friction on the desktop or similar you may achieve thus today but that would require push notifications. We are providing a detailed description but you as the app owner, or with the app owner, must to the lifting to implement the actual push required.